Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 8, 2010

March 8, 2010

I swear to you, the internet in this country hates me. How the previous volunteer at this site got any sort of decent service is completely beyond me. Most of the time its not a problem, but what I would really love right now is to just waste a few hours of my life on facebook and checking email. Instead, I get to type this as a word document (knowing that by the time it gets to anyone back home, it’ll probably be a week late), and re-reading old emails. Let me tell you, it’s not quite the same.
My students today were a royal pain. Well, one class was.
I started the day with what I hoped would be a really simple experiment, exploring the relation between mass on a spring and how much that spring stretches (its extension). Actually, I was worried the experiment would be too basic and they would think me crazy for trying to make them carry it out. The reality was quite contrary. I gave them the setup and procedure, and even the table to put their data in once they’d finished the experiment, and most were still completely clueless. Several students even told me they didn’t know how to use a measuring stick. Excuse me, but WHAT?! These kids are the equivalent of 9th graders and they don’t know the finer points of measuring with a meter stick?! I finally conceded the lesson, promising them we will walk through it the next class period. So that was two of my six periods today (the first was me realizing I needed to give them a lot more detail and the second was me with the other class, giving that detail… at least I try to learn from my mistakes).
I had one great class today, my single hour of math with A2’s. They really are fantastic. They’re understanding fractions and even though we only briefly skimmed one of the topics today in class, their work showed they definitely understood it. I was so proud; they make me so happy, even the kids in back who pretend to sleep the whole time. The A1’s, on the other hand, are Trouble with a capital “T”. They don’t listen; they move around during class; they talk constantly; they harass each other; they ask to use the toilet; they scream at me whenever they know the answer to a question, and they really haven’t been performing all that well. I finally cracked down in the afternoon and told them that if things weren’t different tomorrow, I would not teach them. It sounds drastic, but I don’t know what else to do. If it were only two or three students, I could easily pinpoint them and ask them to move seats or carry out some other punishment, but it is (I’m not even exaggerating here) at least one third of the class who is consistently messing around and consequently messing up. I do feel bad for the students who sit in the class, pay attention and have to deal with my frustrations; some are really great. And I told them that too. I hope tomorrow will be better.
(On a special side note, I just killed a mosquito and smeared blood all over the floor. My elbow is now very itchy… I hate mosquitoes.)
The upside of today is that my hair has been completed. Yes, folks, it’s all in braids. It took a cumulative total of probably around 5 hours and it’s definitely something I’ll have to get used to, but for now I think I really like it. The only downside that I can foresee is that I can’t wash my hair and I’m a runner. Meaning: I sweat when I run (it’s still at least 80 degrees during the day); I run everyday, and I can’t scrub my head. I think it’ll be alright for a while, but I’ll definitely take it out later in March when I’m back at the training center for more training sessions and workshops. Most of the Basotho that have seen it absolutely love it, especially my students. Some even told me that the next time, I should have them do my hair because they too would like to play with my silky white person’s hair. We’ll see if there is a next time…
Probably the scariest thing that has happened since I’ve been here (with the exception of stepping outside a friend’s rondavel to use the bathroom and hearing dogs’ barking approaching…) was also today. After school, I went home to fill my water bottle before returning to the Staff Room turned Salon. As I was walking back, there was a girl moaning and crying, completely held up by some of her fellow students. The secretary was there, seeming unphased, but I was absolutely terrified. I have never seen anyone in that state before. She was unresponsive, writhing around like she was in intense pain. She would make eye contact with various people, but it was evident that nothing really registered with her. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn’t a seizure and it didn’t seem like an allergic reaction either. Basically, I have no idea what happened to her.
When I asked what had happened (and I asked several people, students and teachers alike), the answers always involved something about witchcraft, or the student being possessed by some evil spirits. I also found out that this same thing had happened to the same girl on Ash Wednesday, but during the middle of the Church service. Thankfully, the principal was informed and able to drive the girl back to her home. I’ve not heard anything else, but I’m fairly certain most people here are convinced she was bewitched and possessed by some evil spirits. I’m really really curious about any other explanation anyone can offer; we’ll see what the week brings.
After school, I came home, cooked a nice dinner and flipped on the computer… I’m currently watching Episode 2 of The Office and wishing I had more regular access to electricity because it is pretty darn funny.
I miss you all terribly and wish I could have a whole day of free phone access to call all my family and friends back home… but that doesn’t seem likely. So, I’ll keep on keeping on, and hope to hear from you soon!
All my love from Africa,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment