Friday, September 3, 2010

September?!

September 3, 2010
First of all, Happy, happy (1-day early) birthday to my brother! I can't believe you're 18... I put your card in the mail today (take THAT, stamp crisis!) so hopefully you'll see it before you turn 19. I'd send you a cake too, but heaven only knows how nasty that would be by the time it arrived.
This week was warm. Some (GCXC, I'm lookin' at you) might even say unseasonably warm. I wore a skirt and sandals yesterday (much to the delight of my students and other teachers, especially since I took the time to wash my hair!) and was very comfortable. The sun is gaining heat and the days are getting longer. I would venture a guess that we are now well into the windy season. It wouldn't be so terrible if it weren't for the fact that we haven' seen regular rain since probably last April? (We did have rain ONE morning last week, but none since then) So there's a lot of dust. Everywhere. If you walk around with your mouth open, you get a mouth full of grit. Not very pleasant.
Yesterday and Wednesday, we had lifeskills. We talked about emotions, and how to deal with them best. The younger group seemed pretty quiet and bored, but yesterday, I was thrilled to get some controversy. One student kept asking specific questions about how to deal with her anger or frustration. It's been a learning experience for me too, since some of the things I've advised them to try (like finding time and space to be completely alone with your thoughts) are culturally unacceptable. They've asked a lot about whether it's ok or more harmful to be completely alone. As someone who needs her alone time every once in a while, I've tried to explain that you just need to know yourself and what you need, but they seem to want a cut and dry answer. It absolutely thrills me that these students get it and get it enough that they can ask the tough questions. It also thrills me that other teachers are interested enough to come and see what it's all about. Yesterday, we had three teachers (plus Rethabile, the librarian) present, and everyone helped answer the questions.
This weekend I'm happy to say I'm staying at site. I might walk to the junction to get some groceries (I discovered they have chocolate bars there! That means chocolate DOES exist closer than town!), but will be here the rest of the time. After school today, some students have asked if we can show a movie with the projector. Tomorrow night, I think we'll show another soccer game (South Africa vs. Niger), and Sunday there is a choir concert at a nearby village. I'll walk over with some of the other teachers and choir director to cheer for our students. Choir concerts here are interesting affairs - I'll try to write more about them later.
For now, I think that's it. I have to go teach a class about magnetism pretty soon here - the kids should like it since they get to play with magnets most of the class. Even I had forgotten how cool magnets are... and how much kids can show you about things you take for granted. It's refreshing.
Hope the weekend is good for everyone (last one before school starts for my siblings at least! - and a long weekend too, with Labor Day? ... I'll be working on Labor Day, so enjoy it for me!)
Love from Africa,
-Katie
ps - No news about the mouse. No recent droppings anywhere, and no squeaking at night, but I have been going to bed early this week...
pps - After almost 3 weeks off running (for many reasons), I ran again yesterday. Let me tell you, I AM SORE! ...but it feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment