Sunday, July 24, 2011

Kilimanjaro 2

Kili continued...

When I last left this, I think we had boarded a bus to go to Moshi again, back to the Springlands Hotel (Zara Tours accommodation for its tourists). We looked a mess and probably smelled worse, but I think the glow from our accomplishment prevented us from caring. At reception they told us there was no room at Springlands (again), so we’d be staying right in Moshi, at the Panama Hotel (again). We were psyched – this meant we could go shopping in and around Moshi the next day before our flight around 5pm. Meanwhile, they fed us. Lunch tasted great and was a never-ending buffet… the guys went back for seconds and thirds. After we were stuffed, they brought us to the Panama again and gave us an hour to clean up (first shower in a week!) and meet back in the restaurant for a little ceremony.
I cannot even describe how amazing that shower felt. It was a little strange since the hotel had no designated shower area, there was just a showerhead in one corner of the bathroom and a couple of drains on the floor. This did not matter. I cranked the hot water and watched the dirt just stream off. It took me a solid 30 minutes to clean myself. I emerged two shampoos, one very deep conditioning, gobs of facewash and nearly an entire bar of soap later, wrinkly but clean.
The group hardly recognized each other! All the guys were clean-shaven and everyone was in street clothes instead of hiking gear (and at least one layer of “tan” – dirt and grime – lighter). We each ordered a Kilimanjaro (the local beer) and got down to business. The guides gave us certificates for having succeeded, as well as a very heartfelt speech about how they thought we’d all known each other going in to the whole thing, and how our almost instantaneous friendship definitely helped us along the way. Chombo told us how he’d seen groups who didn’t talk, had no fun, and then blamed him when they didn’t reach Uhuru. It was very clear that all the guides had really enjoyed our group (which made me happy) and they were proud of us for having grown so close so quickly.
Then it was our turn. One of the British guys made a short speech about how we wouldn’t have made it up without their excellent team, and how appreciative we were. We handed over a tip and presented them with some articles of clothing. I donated my hiking boots (selfishly, I didn’t want to lug them back to the States and would rather see them on the feet of a porter or guide than someone in my village who probably won’t ever climb a mountain in their life), hiking pants (hand-me-overs from another PCV), a nice pair of socks (still clean!) and some bug repellent. Adam also gave his hiking boots. It was very sweet how appreciative they were of our donations; that just affirmed to me that it was the right decision (and I found myself wracking my brains: what else could I give?!). We then got to just relax and have a beer with the guides and talk to them on a completely non-professional level – I think they let their guards down considerably. After a while, they excused themselves, saying they wanted to get home to their families (and probably bathe too), but thanking us and giving us their email addresses.
And then there were seven. The gang went out for food and landed at a fairly touristy place (though it was a Sunday night, so not much else was open) where we chowed down on pizza and Indian food, reminiscing and laughing about the previous week together. It felt like I’d known these people forever even though it had only been 8 days. It’s really amazing to me how being in a situation like that can really draw you close to people… it also made me realize (again) how great our group was. Aww ☺
Back at the hotel we played cards until almost midnight before calling it a night. We had to say goodbye to one that night (his flight was super early the next morning and his ride was coming at 3am or something ridiculous), which was hard. The next morning, to our delight, breakfast was included in our stay in the hotel. After more showers, we headed out to explore the Moshi market and do some shopping. We lost two more then (off to spend time at the Hilton in Zanzibar, lucks!) and although it was hard to say goodbye, four was a much more manageable number for walking around as tourists. A local Tanzanian decided he would guide us around town; he took us to the stall for whatever it was we said we were interested in: jerseys, jewelry, t-shirts, paintings… After a few hours of this, we were exhausted and had to head back to the hotel just to get rid of him. It was definitely lunchtime, so we went back to the place Adam and I had found a week before for a huge plate of fish and rice.
Adam and I were on the same flight as the other American woman so we left the last group member there around 3pm to go catch our flight. Again, it was hard to say goodbye. He had become sort of a grandpa to me on the trip and I hope to reconnect once we’re all back stateside.
No problems at the airport (except I stupidly forgot to pack my nice knife in my checked bag and so I lost it to airport security). Our flight was a tiny bit late but to me, that was a good thing. It would only minimize our 13-hour layover in Addis Ababa. In Ethiopia, we wandered around a little, said goodbye to our fellow Yank, got some water, and curled up on the floor to start chipping away at the long night ahead of us. We’d been asleep maybe 30 minutes when a security guard came over and asked for our flight information. Where were we from? Where were we going? When did our flight leave? I thought we were going to be kicked out (or at least in deep trouble for not making better flight arrangements). He just told us we had to go downstairs to some desk to find out about our hotel. Adam and I were both pretty confused… we had no hotel and we sure didn’t want to have to pay for one. He insisted we go downstairs so we did.
At this desk, we found out that not only did we have a hotel room (apparently it got reserved with our tickets? maybe that’s why they were so expensive?), we also had shuttle service to and from that hotel room, as well as two meals in the hotel! Ten minutes and an Ethiopian transit visa later, we were on our way to the Panorama Hotel in downtown Addis Ababa, actually a very beautiful hotel with delicious food, hot showers and an amazing bed. I think the only thing that could’ve made that part better is if we’d realized it earlier, and not spent hours in the AA airport trying to kill time. We made it to the next flight in plenty of time and were on our way back to South Africa.
One of Adam’s teachers was at the Johannesburg airport (a very welcome sight), waiting to bring us back to Lesotho. Apart from stopping for burgers at Wimpy, I honestly don’t remember a lot from that ride either. It was cozy and warm and I fell asleep soon after we started moving. After that, it’s not too exciting. I spent much of Wednesday in the PC Office uploading photos and working on the first half of this massive blog post (so I hope you enjoy!) and then ended up back at site. I slept 17 hours the first night, was awake for about 4, took a 3 hour nap, woke up long enough to prepare tea and a bowl of cereal, and slept another 15. Needless to say, I was pretty well rested by the time water arrived the next day. Friday was laundry day… buckets and buckets of water, loads and loads of laundry. You know you’ve done too much laundry (all by hand, mind you) when by the time you’re finishing the last load, most of the stuff hanging on the line is already warm and dry. In any case, clean clothes are nice. I won’t even try to describe how dirty the laundry water was (and I haven’t even tried to wash my socks yet – ew).
I think that’s all I have for you… climbing Kilimanjaro was absolutely phenomenal. If you get a chance to go, I highly recommend it, though I will also advise you to be in pretty good physical shape, and ready for ridiculously high altitudes. Really, a handful of blog posts and all my photos don’t do it any justice… another incredible adventure to add to my list.

Peace and love from Africa,
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment