Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kilimanjaro, here we come!

Adam and I leave tomorrow (early) to get to Johannesburg for our flight(s) to Moshi, Tanzania.

Our climb begins on Sunday and we're scheduled to summit on the 16th (right after a full moon - it should be incredible). Our route has a pretty high summit rate (around 85% I think) so keep your fingers crossed that neither of us gets altitude sickness and that we both (along with the other 6 in our group) stay healthy and make it to Uhuru Peak!

We looked at some of the altitudes and compared them to our lives in Lesotho. The elevation where we start is roughly the elevation of the mountain near Adam's house, which we've climbed several times. It's not thaaaat much higher than where his house is and I don't honestly think that's too much higher than where my house is (but that may just be my optimism speaking). All in all, it's a lot less daunting knowing that our elevation here is going to help us out with adjusting.

Time now to repack everything so my carry-on bag isn't to big and my checked bag isn't too heavy...

I'll update again in a couple weeks after we're back!
Love from Lesotho (and eventually Tanzania and Kili!)
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment