Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Freedom!

June 8, 2010
First and foremost, my deepest sympathies to the Leonard family. I’m so very sorry for your loss. You’ll be in my thoughts (especially as my thoughts wander to Pulaski this winter!)…

On a lighter note… I’m finished. I’ve given all my exams, I’ve helped invigilate other exams, I’ve marked
(graded) my exams, I’ve combined the science grades, recorded the grades and there is nothing left for me to do here. I can’t believe a semester has already passed, though it’s a reality check: time is passing.
In addition to the chickens we have at school, there are also pigs. One of the sows had piglets, so occasionally in the evenings when they are fed, I hear squealing. Well, last week I got the news that one of the bigger pigs was going to become lunchmeat. Literally. The school slaughtered it yesterday. Right out in public. All the students (who were finished writing their exams) watched and giggled as the poor thing writhed in fear as it was tied to the base of the big water tank. And then they watched and “oohed” and “ahhed” as the blood spurted from its throat after it had been speared. I know about the blood only because I had the misfortune of walking over to talk to someone as they were “draining” it. Unfortunate. I had hoped to stay completely oblivious to all pig-killing procedures, especially after I saw four students dragging it with a rope from the pig sty to the main part of the school grounds, before they tied it up and speared it. Poor thing.
I guess the only consolation is that they will use absolutely every edible part of that poor creature. I went to get my lunch today, samp, like every Tuesday, and not my favorite, but I’ve learned to spice it up and make it palatable. I discovered that there were leftover beans from yesterday so loaded up and took a little samp to be polite to the fantastic women who cook for the school every day. Plus samp and beans is supposed to be pretty good. I was about to leave when one of the other teachers who was also taking her lunch at that time called me over to a big pot near one where they had cooked samp and said, “Look, ‘m’e Katie… “ I didn’t hear the last part of her sentence but as I looked into the big pot, I realized the word pretty quickly: intestines. Let’s just say, they smell pretty bad, even though I’m sure the bo ‘m’e prepared them to be delicious. I was less than thrilled with the discovery, and after making a horribly rude disgusted noise, I explained to the bo ‘m’e that I don’t eat meat, so the intestines don’t appeal to me either… I hope they understood.
In other news, I’m thrilled to inform you that my school has a way for me to watch World Cup 2010 (Feel it… It is HEAH). When the generator went on today, it was outside, which is a bit unusual. I soon discovered this was to minimize the noise in the room where the projector and satellite television recorder were hooked up, broadcasting soccer! So exciting. It’s like one of my friends says… it’s great being in Lesotho during the World Cup in South Africa because we get to go to the games, but it’s not so great for all the other games since most places (where PCVs are located anyway) don’t have electricity or television enough so we can watch. I’m really hoping this solves that problem.
After I finished proctoring and handing back math exams, I went for a run. It’s been an unfortunate amount of time since my last run… I won’t even tell you, I’m embarrassed. Let’s just say it showed today. I was winded two minutes in, and on my way back, I wiped out. I had just greeted a couple who passed me with their double-donkey-drawn cart, and on no apparent rock, my foot caught. Next thing I knew, I was skidding on my palms and knees, trying to not break my iPod (thank goodness I bought that hard case before I left for Africa – I don’t even want to think about the state of my iPod if it were unprotected…). This wouldn’t be such a big deal if it weren’t for the fact that not even two weeks ago, I did the same thing. I banged up both knees and palms… last time, I got my elbow too, but really? Has my coordination deteriorated so much? Hopefully I’ll get it back quickly, or my medical kit’s supply of bandaids will be gone before Friday.
When I got back to campus, I found the school secretary talking with some of the other teachers! She’s been on maternity leave for a month or two now, and had her baby boy two weeks ago. It was great to see her again, and her baby is beautiful. I don’t remember all the cultural traditions around births in the family, but I think I’m pretty fortunate (traditionally, at least) to have seen such a young baby. He is sooo tiny! Teboho. It’ll be fun watching him grow the next year and a half…
My other piece of news is that I’m trying to make a trip to Egypt next Easter break work out… a friend who studied abroad there is planning on returning and well, I’m already on the continent… what better time than now? I’d have an excellent (Arabic-speaking, a bit at least, right?) tour guide and a great excuse to see the pyramids! What more could anyone ask for? Cross your fingers for me that it works out; I’m pretty sure it’d be an amazing trip. (I’ve already started reading through one of my other friend’s tour guide books of Egypt… and planning a little… )
Well, my fingers are getting quite chilly, so I’m going to go warm them up with a nice cup of tea and maybe some dinner. Oh, and I cannot tell you how well I will sleep tonight. I ran, took my (weekly, ha) bath (including hair wash – it smells so nice!), AND washed my sheets today. Plus I can sleep in tomorrow!
Siblings – enjoy the last few days of school and the first few of summer! I miss you and can’t believe you’ve finished another year of school… stop growing please?
Love from Africa,
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment