Friday, June 4, 2010

What has my life become?!

Winter is here. There is no disputing that. Along with it have come some interesting experiences... and because I have not much else better to do right now, I'm going to post them here. But only two of them... for now.

1. The amusing: When we move in to our sites, Peace Corps requires that we have some form of heater, usually one that hooks up to our gas tanks. When I moved in, I not only has the previous volunteer's cooking gas tank, but also a smaller one that was next to my heater. I wasn't sure how to hook it up, but at the time I moved in, it didn't seem pressing since I could barely sleep without sweating. When it started getting cooler, some friends and I decided to have a sort of heater standoff. Basically, it was, "Hey guys, we should see who can go the longest without using a heater in their house!" I figured hey, I'm a Minnesotan. I can probably out-cold any of these other non-MN jokers (and I still haven't used mine). However, the teachers basically die if the staff room isn't heated beyond belief. I came into the language staff room to use the internet (since it's much better up here) and found the heater on. Another teacher came in and shoved it nice and close to me; she likely thought I was about to become an ice cube. I'm not gonna complain, it was really nice to have a heater several feet away from me, but it didn't last long. Some other teachers came in and said. "Madam, can we share the heater?" I nodded; I didn't need it. They proceeded to swipe the heater, put it between them at the far end of the staffroom, and then they left. I was astonished. Really? That's what share means? I stole it back, but they came in again not 5 minutes later and did the same thing. Oh well...

2. The slightly disgusting: I am bathing much less frequently here. Note: if this statement alone is too gross for you, please do us both a favor and stop reading... it doesn't get any better. I will be frank and say that until last night, I'd not washed my hair since Saturday (I was pushin for a full week, but it didn't work out like that). As I was reading, I reached up to scratch an itch on my head. This turned into a full itching frenzy. It was the single worst itch I have EVER felt on my head. Even a while after I'd stopped scratching, my scalp would burn until I rubbed it again. I decided there was no way I was going to be able to sleep with this itch on my head, so I got up, grabbed my conditioner and rubbed some onto my scalp. It helped, but only temporarily. I waited another 10 minutes, tossing and turning and willing myself to forget about the itch. No such luck. I ended up having to get out of my lovely, warm cocoon to heat water, grab my shampoo and basin, and actually wash my hair. I felt absolutely ridiculous, but afterwards, my head did not itch. In fact, it felt quite nice, and my hair smelled amazing... I read a while more and finally fell asleep. My hair this morning when I woke up (after tossing and turning with a head of wet hair) was another story. I guess I deserved that one.

Seriously, what has my life become?!

No comments:

Post a Comment